Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Is it true when you go to laboer u cant have any make up on, nail polish etc?

Not that thats what i am concertn about but i was told and i was shocked like why?Is it true when you go to laboer u cant have any make up on, nail polish etc?
Having been a Labor and Delivery RN for 12 years, I will say (in the US), we have no problem with cosmetics or nail polish. If you would need to have the pulse oximeter on, we can take the polish off a nail. It has nothing to do with ';being sterile in the operating room for c-sections';. When I'm the circulating RN, I don't have gloves on and often my nails are painted with clear coat (acrylic nails are prohibited on patient care employees at my hospital). When I assist or scrub, I have on 2 pairs of sterile gloves. As far as the mom, the only thing we remove with a c-section would be a belly ring and her index finger nail polish.





EDIT: Thank you Vicky!!Is it true when you go to laboer u cant have any make up on, nail polish etc?
Julianna's answer is perfect -- she deserves 'best answer!'





But I've also heard that some practices don't like coloured nail polish because if you're starting to have oxygenation issues, the skins under your nails changes colour. This might be more when you're doing a homebirth, where they don't have the same access to equipment for measuring these things.





ps: be sure to wear waterproof mascara for birthing -- you'll be sweating buckets :)
Regular make-up shouldn't be a problem.





They prefer that you not have nail polish, because the color of your nail bed can be a sign of trouble, and if you need to have your pulse-ox monitored (unlikely in a normal labor, but possible), they put the clip on your fingertip.
The nail polish thing I was told about in case of the need for a c-section. Everything has to be sterile and apparantly polished nails are not. I have not heard of the makeup thing.
You can't decide when you go into labor. If you have make up and nail polish on at the time you cannot really be expected to remove it before you go to the hospital. Who told you this?
Personally I didn't want makeup on while in labor due to all the sweating it will run and I didn't want raccoon eyes LOL





but no you can wear makeup and they never said I couldn't have nail polish either.
i have never heard of this being the case. i have been in many a delivery room with both. but i do know that fake nails carry alot of germs under them and some NICU's will not allow you in with them on.
I seriously hope you can have makeup on!!!





Imma throw a fit If i dont have it on! lol.
Not true. My toenails were done and I had make up on. Some hospitals don't allow jewelry but I had mine on the whole time too
they want everything to be sterile for baby...





but girl who can keep a woman from looking good ! ;)
No, that isn't true. I had makeup and nail polish on both times.
Nope, not true, I had my nails done and make-up on.
  • colorsilk
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment